Its origins lie in the North Kent edition, established in 1899, of what was then the Kent Messenger & Gravesend Telegraph and Dartford News. In 1930 the parent newspaper became simply the Kent Messenger; the North Kent edition became the Gravesend edition in 1938.
It’s part of a two-paper series together with the Dartford Messenger; both are local titles within the Kent Messenger group of newspapers published by the KM Group. The group’s editorial offices are in Aylesford just outside Maidstone, but there’s an office in Gravesend too (details given below).
There’s a companion freesheet, the Gravesend & Dartford Messenger Extra (formerly the Gravesend, Dartford and Swanley Messenger Extra; Swanley was dropped in 2013).
It comes out on Thursdays. A paid-for e-edition’s also available on the website.