It was founded in 1891 as The Folkestone Herald, etc. In 1906 it was renamed the Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald, which was then shortened in 1935 to the Folkestone, Hythe & District Herald. It’s borne the current title since 1984.
It’s published by Kent Regional News and Media, a branch of the new Local World media group since that was created at the end of 2012 by a merger of Iliffe News & Media and the Northcliffe Media regional newspaper publishing branch of the Daily Mail and General Trust. The editorial offices are in Folkestone and are shared with the Dover Express.
There are four editions:
- Folkestone Herald (by far the biggest)
- Hythe Herald
- Romney Marsh Herald
- Ashford Herald
The first three are paid-for titles, but a large part of the Folkestone and Romney Marsh circulations are through free distribution to homes. The Ashford edition is entirely free; just under half the copies are available by free pickup through dispensers in certain supermarkets, with the rest being delivered to homes.
Until mid-2013 its web presence was through Kent Regional News and Media’s thisiskent.co.uk website. However, it received its own website as a consequence of Local World’s decision to create “publisher-branded” websites for all former Northcliffe titles.
The Herald comes out on Thursdays.