It was founded in 1876 as The Sussex County Herald and kept that title until 1938 (apart from the years 1920-26, when it was simply The Herald. In 1938 it adopted its present title for the first time.
In 1951 it amalgamated with the Eastbourne Chronicle, founded in 1865 as a rival to the Eastbourne Gazette established six years earlier. The amalgamated paper became the Eastbourne Herald Chronicle, but dropped the Chronicle from the masthead in 1966.
Both the Herald and the Gazette are now published by the same company, T R Beckett, a branch of the South Division of nationwide publishers of local and regional newspapers Johnston Press. As a result, the website claims, Eastbourne is one of the few British towns to have a midweek paid-for newspaper as well as an end-of-week one.
The editorial offices moved, within Eastbourne, for only the third time in over 130 years in August 2010.
It comes out on Fridays.
Advertise on this site!
With over 1,500 pages covering the UK’s national, regional and local papers, we’ve got advertising options for everyone – from the classified advertiser to the multinational!
Download our ratecard (PDF, 105 KB)