East Grinstead Courier
It was founded in August 2008 as the East Grinstead Courier & Observer, a merger of the 1953-founded East Grinstead Courier (a paid-for weekly tabloid published by Courier Newspapers, part of what was then the Daily Mail & General Trust‘s regional publishing division, Northcliffe Media) and the 1881 foundation the East Grinstead Observer, a freesheet weekly tabloid that was among 26 newspapers acquired by Northcliffe from Trinity Mirror Southern in July 2007. The Observer was dropped from the title in January 2014, although it still appears in the title in the website’s metadata.
It’s now published by Local World as a result of Northcliffe Media’s incorporation into Local World Limited at the end of 2012. The editorial offices were in Crawley until 2013, when they were moved to Redhill.
The newspaper’s distributed free of charge in the town centre of East Grinstead; about a third of the print run of each edition is sold in the neighbouring villages.
Having had a web presence through Northcliffe’s thisissussex.co.uk portal website for some time, the Courier acquired its own website in 2013 as a result of Local World’s decision that all former Northcliffe titles should have their own “publisher-branded” sites.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.