It was founded in 1899 as The Alton Mail but adopted its present title in 1966. It’s one of a series of weekly broadsheets headed by the Farnham Herald and is published by Surrey & Hants News Ltd, part of the Tindle Newspapers group. The editorial offices are in Farnham.
There’s a companion freesheet tabloid, the Alton Post Gazette.
It comes out on Fridays. A paid e-edition’s also available on the website.