It’s part of a four-title series published by Newsquest (Oxfordshire) for the south of the county, together with the Didcot Herald, the Wallingford Herald and the Wantage & Grove Herald. The editorial offices are at Newsquest (Oxfordshire)’s headquarters in Oxford.
It has a long and slightly involved history. It was founded in late 1867 as The Abingdon Herald, Oxford Times and Midland Counties Advertiser. It amalgamated with its sister title the Wallingford Chronicle in February 1870 to form The Abingdon Herald and Wallingford Chronicle, only to have to change title again three months later with another amalgamation, this time with the Reading Herald, thereby becoming The Reading and Abingdon Herald. The order of the two towns was reversed after just 15 issues; then in 1883 Reading was dropped from the title and the circulation area, leaving the newspaper to continue as The Abingdon Herald.
In 1910 The Abingdon Herald disappeared and was replaced by The North Berks Herald – the North Berks Herald and Didcot Advertiser from 1939, and then simply the North Berks Herald from 1961. It finally re-emerged as the Abingdon Herald once more in 1974.
It comes out on Thursdays.