It was part of the Mid Cheshire Guardian group of newspapers published by Newsquest (North West) from editorial offices in Northwich.
It was founded in 1860. It split into two separate titles in 1946: the Winsford Guardian and the smaller-circulation Middlewich Guardian. The two titles were reunited in 1993, separated again in 2002, and reunited once again in 2009. However, the two separate websites, two e-editions (available by paid subscription) and two social media identities continued in existence.
It came out on Wednesdays.
It ceased publication at the end of June 2013 when it merged with the Northwich Guardian to form the Northwich, Winsford & Middlewich Guardian. All three websites and social media identities have been retained, although the separate e-editions have ceased.