It was established in 1946 when The Winsford & Middlewich Guardian, founded in 1860, split in two. The Middlewich Guardian was established at the same time. The two were reunited in 1993, separated again in 2002, and reunited again in 2009, finally being merged with the Northwich Guardian in July 2013. However, all three titles’ websites and independent social media presences remain in existence.
The Guardian‘s published by Newsquest (North West) from editorial offices in Northwich.
It comes out on Wednesdays. The separate e-edition (by paid subscription) was retained after the 2009 merger, but ceased after the July 2013 amalgamation.