It was founded in 1818 as The Westmorland Gazette and Kendal Advertiser, but dropped the Kendal Advertiser in 1829. It’s had literary associations from the outset: the poet William Wordsworth was one of the early backers and nearly became editor at one stage, but stood aside in favour of Thomas de Quincey, author of Confessions of an Opium Eater. In later years both John Ruskin and Beatrix Potter wrote letters to the newspaper.
It switched to tabloid (“compact”) format in 2009 after 191 years as a broadsheet.
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition is also available online by paid subscription.