It was founded in 1855 and is published independently by Ashton Weekly Newspapers Ltd. The editorial offices are in Stalybridge.
There’s a companion title for Glossop and the High Peak: the Glossop Chronicle.
It was saved from closure in October 2012 when the New Charter Housing Association stepped in to buy Ashton Weekly Newspapers. At the same time it switched from being entirely paid-for to being approximately 60 per cent freesheet.
A further change of ownership followed in December 2013, when the two newspapers merged with Tameside Radio 103.6FM to create the Quest Media Network. A new website was launched at the same time, to which the old tamesidereporter.com URL now redirects.
It comes out on Thursdays.