It’s published by Lancashire Publications, a division of the nationwide regional newspaper publishers Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in St Helens.
It was founded in 1888. From 1927 to 1959 it was called the St Helens and District Reporter.
For most of the 20th century it was owned privately by the Gentry family; they sold it to Lancashire Publications in 1990.
Although it’s a freesheet, a few hundred copies are also sold through the news trade.
The Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley, including Knowsley Village and the town of Prescot, is served by a separate sub-edition, the Prescot & Knowsley Reporter. There’s also a monthly for Prescot, the Prescot News.
It comes out on Wednesdays.