It was founded in 1900 and absorbed the Nelson Chronicle – founded a decade earlier – within four years. It wasn’t until 1965 that the front page stopped featuring adverts only – a practice followed by many early newspapers but abandoned by most several decades earlier.
It’s published by East Lancashire Newspapers, a division of the nationwide publishers of local and regional newspapers, Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in Nelson and are shared with two sub-editions in the Leader-Times series: the Barnoldswick & Earby Times and the Colne Times; as well as the midweek title for the borough, the Pendle Express.
It comes out on Fridays.