Its history goes back to the 1870s. In 1871 The Leigh Times was founded and ran for four years before merging with The Leigh Weekly Journal, founded in 1873, to form the Leigh Journal and Times. In 1917 it was joined with the Tyldesley Weekly Journal and District News (established in 1873 as the Tyldesley Weekly Journal, Leigh and Atherton News) to form the Leigh, Tyldesley & Atherton Journal and District News. It adopted its present title in 1958, became simply The Journal in 1990, and switched back again in 2004.
It switched from being a paid-for broadsheet to a freesheet tabloid in 1988.
It’s published by Newsquest (North West) from editorial offices in Leigh.
Although it’s a freesheet, a very small number of copies (fewer than two per cent of the circulation) are sold through the news trade.
It comes out on Thursdays. A free e-edition’s also available on the website.