Cumberland & Westmorland Herald
It was founded in 1860 by Thomas Hodgson as The Penrith Herald and Appleby, Keswick & Kirkby Stephen Herald. Hodgson came from a family with a history of newspaper production: his grandfather owned the Teesdale Mercury. By 1869 it had been renamed the Penrith Herald, and East Cumberland and Westmorland News. It changed title again to the Mid Cumberland and North Westmorland Herald in 1891 before settling on its current name in 1925.
It’s published by an independent company, Cumberland and Westmorland Herald Ltd, founded in 1890. The editorial offices have been in Penrith‘s King Street since 1903.
There’s a sub-edition, the Lake District Herald, for southern Cumbria.
Its publication day, unusually, is Saturday.