It was founded in 1874 as The Crewe and Nantwich Chronicle and Cheshire and North Wales Advertiser. In 1883 it revised its title (and, apparently, its geographical ambition) to the Crewe and Nantwich Chronicle and West Cheshire Advertiser; Nantwich was lost from the title in 1890. In 1904 it became The Crewe Chronicle and kept that title until 1994, although various geographical sub-editions were added along the way. From 1994 to 2000 it was simply the Chronicle, before resuming its previous title (minus the The).
It’s published by Trinity Mirror Cheshire (part of Trinity Mirror‘s North West and Wales division) from editorial offices in Crewe. It’s the lead edition in a series of three Chronicle titles for South Cheshire; the others in the series are the Nantwich Chronicle and The Chronicle (Sandbach & Middlewich edition). All of them share the Crewe offices and a common website.
It comes out on Wednesdays. There’s also a companion freesheet, the Chronicle Xtra South Cheshire.
- Crewe Chronicle
32-34 Victoria Street
- 01270 255733
- 01270 502439