It was launched in 1985. From 1990 to 1993 it was entitled simply The Journal. (It has no connection with an earlier Bolton Journal, founded in 1871 as The Bolton Weekly Journal and District News but wound up – as the Bolton Journal & Guardian – in 1976.)
Most of the print run is delivered direct to homes, but slightly more than 10 per cent is distributed through pickup points in supermarkets.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available free on the website.