It was founded in 1832 as a weekly, The Newcastle Journal; it switched to daily circulation and changed its title to The Newcastle Daily Journal in 1861. In 1915 it amalgamated with a far older title, The Newcastle Courant, which was founded in 1711 but became the Newcastle Weekly Journal and Courant in 1902. The paper continued as the Newcastle Daily Journal and Courant to 1924, when it became the Newcastle Daily Journal, North Star and Courant; the word Daily was dropped in 1930. Just after the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939 it incorporated the North Mail, Newcastle Daily Chronicle and became the Newcastle Journal and North Mail; it adopted its current title in 1958.
Its core circulation area is the city of Newcastle itself, the former Tyne & Wear Metropolitan County, Northumberland and Co. Durham, but it also sells a few copies in northern Cumbria, northern North Yorkshire and the Scottish Borders. It has a wide readership, particularly among people in business (it has a respected business section) and farmers.
It appears in two editions: City (for Newcastle) and Northumberland. An e-edition’s also available on the website by paid subscription.