It was founded in 1880 as The Uxbridge Gazette, and Middlesex and Bucks Observer, gaining a sub-edition for Ruislip and Northwood (the Ruislip-Northwood Courier and Uxbridge Gazette) in 1908. At the beginning of 1922 it merged with the Middlesex and Buckinghamshire Advertiser to form the Middlesex Advertiser and County Gazette. It didn’t re-emerge until 1976, and even then as the Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gazette. Since 1989 its formal title, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulation and the British Library, has been the Uxbridge & West Drayton Gazette; slightly oddly, because Uxbridge and West Drayton are among the smaller of the suburbs which the paper covers.
It’s published by the Southern division of newspaper publishing giants Trinity Mirror.
Up to June 2011 there were five editions within the Uxbridge Gazette series:
- the Harefield Gazette
- the Hayes Gazette
- the Northwood Gazette
- the Ruislip Gazette
- and of course the Uxbridge Gazette itself.
However, at the end of that month the Ruislip and Northwood editions were combined into the Ruislip & Northwood Gazette, dropping coverage of Rickmansworth and the Three Rivers District in Hertfordshire. Northwood in turn has now been dropped, with the Ruislip edition continuing as the Ruislip & Eastcote Gazette.
In the second half of 2012 the Gazette switched to mostly freesheet distribution, having previously been entirely paid-for. Its sister freesheet, the Uxbridge Leader, ceased publication at the same time.
It comes out on Wednesdays.