It’s part of a series of Mercury newspapers whose history goes back to 1833, when the Greenwich, Woolwich and Deptford Gazette, and West Kent Advertiser was founded. That newspaper was renamed the Kentish Mercury in 1838, becoming the South East London Mercury in 1964, the South East London and Kentish Mercury in 1968 and then the SE London Mercury in 1980.
The Mercury was split into separate local editions in 1981, the point at which the Lewisham Mercury title was first used. In 1984 it became the Lewisham & Catford Mercury and kept that title until 1995, when the various Mercury titles were amalgamated once more as simply The Mercury.
The Mercury series is a companion to the twice-weekly title the South London Press and shares its editorial offices in Streatham. It was a freesheet until 2012, when the SLP launched seven hyper-local editions.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition is also available online by paid subscription.