It was founded in 1898. In 1964 it was renamed the Ilford Redbridge Recorder, then the following year it became the Redbridge Ilford Recorder before reverting to its original name.
It’s published by Archant London, a division of Norwich-based media group Archant. The editorial offices are in Ilford.
There used also to be a sub-edition for Barking and Dagenham, the Barking & Dagenham Recorder; but that was dropped in 2010 in favour of Archant London’s other title for that London Borough, the Barking & Dagenham Post.
It received a facelift in March 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays. E-editions of all three print editions (free) are also available through the website.