It was founded in 1864 as the Hackney and Kingsland Gazette; Shoreditch Telegraph, etc. In 1926 it was renamed the Hackney Gazette and North London Advertiser; it kept that name until 2003.
Prior to 2012 it was published by Archant London’s East London Newspapers subsidiary, originally from editorial offices in Aldgate in the East End of London and subsequently moving to Archant London’s Ilford offices in November 2010. However, a reorganisation within Archant London saw the Gazette transferred to their North West London Newspapers branch in Swiss Cottage in October 2012.
It underwent a facelift in March 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays. A free e-edition is also available on the website.