It was founded in 1869 as the Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter. It underwent a slight name change in 1878 to become The Croydon Advertiser and Surrey County Reporter, then adopted its present title in 1967.
In the early 2000s it was owned and published by Trinity Mirror Southern, but in 2007 it was taken over by Northcliffe Media (then the regional arm of the Daily Mail & General Trust, but part of the Local World group since the end of 2012) and is published by their East Surrey & Sussex News & Media branch.
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format at the end of March 2006.
The offices were in South Croydon until October 2008, but moved to central Croydon in that month.
It’s published on Fridays. There are four local editions:
- Croydon Advertiser
- Sutton Advertiser
- Croydon Advertiser – South Edition
- New Addington Advertiser
(The South Edition replaced the Coulsdon and Purley Advertiser in January 2012. A fifth edition, for Caterham and district, has been dropped.)
It was formerly a paid-for title only, but relaunched as a part-freesheet in September 2010.
New travel resource for disabled people. Exchange information, book holidays, read the latest disability news. Free listings for pubs, restaurants, B&Bs, hotels. Visit today!
CanDoCanGo – http://www.candocango.com/