It’s part of a series of Mercury freesheets covering South East London; the others are the Greenwich Mercury (the main title of the series, founded in 1833) and the Lewisham Mercury. All were taken over by Tindle Newspapers from Trinity Mirror in 2007 and are run as companions of their twice-weekly paid-for tabloid the South London Press. The editorial offices are at the SLP‘s headquarters in Streatham.
The Bexley Mercury started off as two separate titles, both established in 1989: the Bexleyheath & Welling Mercury and the Sidcup & Bexley Mercury. They were combined as the Bexley edition of the Mercury in 1995, which took its present title in August 2007, just three months before the Tindle takeover.
It comes out on Wednesdays. A free e-edition was made available on the website from October 2011 onwards; previously only the Greenwich Mercury e-edition was available.