It was founded in 1896 as the Worksop Guardian and North Notts, Derby & South Yorks Advertiser and kept that title until 1972, when it was renamed the Worksop Guardian. In 1993 it was renamed simply The Guardian (despite the existence of the national newspaper of the same name) and still bears that title in the masthead of its website, although the newspaper itself has the word Worksop (in light blue) above the word Guardian (in black).
It’s published by North Notts Newspapers, which in turn is owned by major local newspaper publishers Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in the town.
It has two editions: the main one covers Bassetlaw District, the other covers Dinnington in South Yorkshire. It also has close ties with the Retford Trader & Guardian. A companion freesheet, the Worksop Trader, closed in October 2012 after Johnston Press decided to concentrate on production of its paid-for titles in the North East Midlands and South Yorkshire.
It comes out on Fridays.