It originated in the Horncastle, Spilsby, Alford and Lincolnshire Standard in 1912, part of a multi-edition newspaper with a complex history. By 1928 the main title had become simply the Lincolnshire Standard, with a Horncastle, Spilsby and Alford edition. In 1956 Alford was hived off from Horncastle and Spilsby and a Spilsby, Horncastle and Woodhall Spa edition was created, continuing under that name when the main title was briefly renamed the Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian from 1958 to 1962.
When the Lincolnshire Standard resumed its earlier name there was another reorganisation, and a Spilsby and Skegness edition was created. That in turn was split in 1977, with Spilsby receiving its own dedicated edition for the first time. After a brief gap in publication from 1981 to 1983, it first appeared as a title in its own right in 1988, reverted to being a local edition of the Lincolnshire Standard in 1989, and switched back to its present title definitively in 1992.
It shares the Skegness Standard‘s editorial offices in Skegness and its website (the earlier self-standing Spilsby news section has been discontinued).
It’s published by Peterborough-based East Midlands Newspapers, part of the Johnston Press group.
Like its parent newspaper, it’s published on Wednesdays.