It was founded in 1937 as an offshoot of the Grimsby Evening Telegraph. It’s published by the Grimsby & Scunthorpe Media Group, part of Northcliffe Media, which used to be the regional newspaper division of the Daily Mail & General Trust but became the major constituent of the Local World media group in November 2012.
It was formerly the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph, but dropped the “Evening” in 2002.
In August 2011 it switched to weekly publication in view of the changing nature of the market. However, in June 2012 it launched Telegraph 2, a property and motoring pull-out, after readers complained that the single 140-page weekly edition was too bulky.
It received a new website in the spring of 2013, after new owners Local World took the decision to supplement Northcliffe’s series of local portal websites with “publisher-branded” sites for their newspapers.
A companion weekly freesheet, the Scunthorpe Target, closed down in the spring of 2012.
It comes out on Thursdays.