It was established in 1889 as The Ripley News and Home Intelligencer but changed title on only its eighth issue to the Ripley News and Ilkeston Division Free Press, and added “and Heanor” after “Ripley” within a year. The “Ilkeston Division Free Press” was dropped from the title in 1977 in favour of “and Amber Valley District Press”. From 1958 onwards each town had its own edition, and the two separated into independent titles for three years from 1979 (losing the “Amber Valley District Press” in the process) to 1982.
It’s published by the Derbyshire Times Group (Wilfred Edmunds Ltd), part of the Johnston Press regional newspaper empire. The editorial offices were in Ripley until 2012, but have now moved to Ilkeston, where they share with the Ilkeston Advertiser.
It comes out on Thursdays.