It was established in 1931 as the Chronicle & Echo; the name of the town was added in 1994. It emerged from two earlier titles, the Northampton Daily Chronicle and Evening Herald (founded 1880) and the Daily Echo (founded as the Northampton Daily Reporter in 1885, retitled as the Northampton Daily Reporter & Echo in 1906 and as the Northampton Daily Echo in 1908).
It’s published by Northamptonshire Newspapers, part of the nationwide Johnston Press group, from editorial offices in Northampton which it shares with its freesheet companion, the Northampton Mercury & Citizen.
It was an evening title until May 2012. However, Johnston Press announced that five of their evening titles would switch to weekly publication at the end of that month, with an increased page count and more features. At the same time, those newspapers’ websites would become the focus for up-to-date news, supported by iPad/iPhone apps, in a shift to more “platform-neutral” publication. The first weekly edition duly appeared on 31 May.
It comes out on Thursdays. It’s also available as an app in iOS, Android and Kindle format (by paid subscription).