It was founded in 1855 as The Newark Advertiser, and Farmers’ Journal for Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire, but ceased publication the following year. It started afresh in 1859, but took an even more wordy name: The Newark Advertiser, and Mercantile and Agricultural Intelligencer for the Midland Counties. It settled on its present title in 1880.
It’s published by independent publishers Newark Advertiser Co Ltd and has editorial offices in Newark.
It’s also the lead title in a group of four Advertiser newspapers; the three local editions are:
- Bingham Advertiser
- Ollerton Advertiser
- Southwell Advertiser
All four come out on Fridays. A (paid) e-edition’s also available via the website.
There’s also a weekly freesheet companion, The Trader.