It was founded in 1847 as a fortnightly newspaper called the Spalding Free Press and Eastern Counties Advertiser. One-and-a-half years later it became a weekly and was retitled the Lincolnshire Boston and Spalding Free Press and Eastern Counties Advertiser. That remained the title until 1942, when it bucked the general trend among newspapers of shortening their titles over the years by becoming the Lincolnshire Free Press, Boston and Spalding, South Holland and Eastern Counties Advertiser. It took on its current title in 1971.
It’s published by Peterborough-based East Midlands Newspapers Ltd, part of the nationwide Johnston Press group of regional and local papers. The editorial offices are in Spalding, and shared with the less widely distributed Spalding Guardian (with which it also shares a website).
From 1913 until about 1967 there were several different editions: at one time or another there were editions for Spalding Town, Bourne, Holbeach and Sutton, and Country.
It comes out on Tuesdays.
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- 01775 725021
- 01775 714744