It was founded by printer and stationer William Eland in 1854 as a monthly publication, The Market Harborough Advertiser, Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire Journal, but changed title in 1923 upon merging with the if anything even more ambitiously titled The Midland Mail, founded in 1890 and renamed from The Market Harborough Mail in 1897; the combined title became The Market Harborough Advertiser and Midland Mail. It adopted its current title in 1968. Before 1942 it was a broadsheet.
It’s published by Northamptonshire Newspapers, a division of the nationwide Johnston Press group of regional newspapers, who acquired it from previous owners Emap (along with all their other newspapers) in 1996. They published it as a sister newspaper to the Kettering-based Northants Evening Telegraph until that paper switched to weekly publication in May 2012 as the Northamptonshire Telegraph.
Since 1984 it’s had a local sub-edition for Lutterworth in south-western Leicestershire, the Lutterworth Mail. A companion freesheet, the Harborough Citizen, suspended publication in February 2010.
It comes out on Thursdays.