It was founded in 1897 as a morning publication, the Eastern Daily Telegraph. With the New Year 1899 it became the Grimsby Daily Telegraph; it switched to evening publcation and changed title accordingly to the Grimsby Evening Telegraph in 1932. It dropped the Evening from the title in 1999.
It’s published by the Grimsby & Scunthorpe Media Group, which was formerly part of the Daily Mail & General Trust‘s Northcliffe Media regional newspaper group until the end of 2012 but then became part of the new Local World media group along with the rest of Northcliffe. The editorial offices are in Grimsby.
It’s part of a two-title series together with the Scunthorpe Telegraph. There’s also a weekly freesheet companion, the Grimsby & Cleethorpes Advertiser (which replaced the Grimsby Post and the Cleethorpes Post in August 2012), and a monthly special edition called Bygones.
Since August 2012 it’s appeared in two editions: besides the main one, there’s also a “Cleethorpes and villages” edition.