It was founded in 1879 by Eliza Pike as the Derby Daily Telegraph. At that time it was a four-sheet broadsheet in format. Upon switching to evening publication in 1932 (shortly after absorbing its rival, the Derby Daily Express established in 1884) it became the Derby Evening Telegraph and kept that name for many years, albeit shortened to simply the Evening Telegraph from 1990, until it reverted to morning publication and adopted its current title in April 2009.
It’s published by the Derby Telegraph Media Group, which has been owned by Northcliffe Media (formerly part of the Daily Mail & General Trust, but since the end of 2012 the major constituent part of Local World) since 1927. Since the 1970s the amount of national content – which used to account for half the news in the paper – has dwindled to take up a small amount of space on an inside page.
The editorial offices are in Meadow Road in Derby.
Until recently the Telegraph‘s Web presence was through Northcliffe’s portal website for the county, thisisderbyshire.co.uk. However, in the spring of 2013 Local World took the decision to launch “publisher-branded” sites for their newspapers; the Telegraph was one of the first to receive one, in mid-April, albeit a site still under development.