It was founded in 1852 as a rival to the 1842 foundation the Buxton Herald and Gazette of Fashion, later known as The Herald. A third title, the High Peak News, was founded in the town in 1870. Both the other titles closed in the mid-twentieth century – the Herald in 1950, the News in 1959 – and were absorbed into the Advertiser, in whose masthead they still appear.
It’s published by Wilfred Edmunds (Derbyshire Times) Ltd, a branch of the North Midlands division of regional and local newspaper publishers Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in Buxton and are shared with its sister freesheet, the Peak Courier. (The Peak Courier replaced three earlier Buxton-based freesheets, the Buxton Times, the High Peak Courier and the Glossop Courier, in 2009.)
It comes out on Thursdays.