Alford Standard (defunct)
Its origins go back to the foundation of a multi-edition newspaper with a very convoluted history, the Lincolnshire Standard, and the publication of the Horncastle, Spilsby, Alford and Lincolnshire Standard in 1912. By 1928 the main title had become simply the Lincolnshire Standard, with a Horncastle, Spilsby and Alford edition. In 1956 Alford was hived off from Horncastle and Spilsby and an Alford and Sutton edition was created, which continued when the main newspaper was briefly renamed the Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian from 1958 to 1962. When the title changed back, the edition became the Alford, Mablethorpe and Sutton edition.
At the beginning of 1988 the Alford edition was renamed the Mablethorpe, Alford & Sutton-on-Sea Standard; Alford and Mablethorpe were reversed to give Alford the lead the following year. In 1993 Mablethorpe and Sutton were given their own title, leaving the Alford Standard to continue on its own. In practice it became a local sub-edition of the Skegness Standard.
Latterly it was published by East Midlands Newspapers, a branch of regional press giants Johnston Press. It shared the series editorial offices (in Skegness) with the Skegness Standard and the Spilsby Standard.
It ceased publication in late 2007. The URL below links to the Skegness Standard‘s Alford news pages.
New travel resource for disabled people. Exchange information, book holidays, read the latest disability news. Free listings for pubs, restaurants, B&Bs, hotels. Visit today!
CanDoCanGo – http://www.candocango.com/