It was founded in 1884 as the Grays & Tilbury Gazette, and Southend Telegraph. In 1901 it dropped the Southend Telegraph from the title. With the first issue of 1937 it became the Essex & Thurrock Gazette, and Grays & Tilbury Gazette; it adopted its present title in 1965.
It’s published by Newsquest (Essex) from editorial offices in Grays.
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition’s also available free from the website.