It was founded in July 1855 as The Free Press and General Advertiser for West Suffolk and North Essex, but kept that title for just eight issues before shortening it to West Suffolk and North Essex Free Press, etc. Less than a year after its foundation it changed title for a third time, becoming The Suffolk and Essex Free Press, etc. It adopted its present title in 1949 and, apart from five years from 1981 to 1986 when it reverted to the Suffolk and Essex Free Press name, has kept it ever since.
It’s published by Anglia Newspapers (a division of Johnston Press), who are based in Bury St Edmunds. The editorial offices are in Sudbury.
It comes out on Thursdays.