It was founded in 1900 as The Citizen. In 1914 it was renamed The Peterborough Citizen; it reverted to its original title in 1940 but took up the new title again in 1942. In 1946 it absorbed the 1863-founded newspaper The Peterborough Advertiser and South Midland Times and changed its name to the Peterborough Citizen and Advertiser. In 1976 the Citizen title was abandoned in favour of the Peterborough Advertiser; however, in 1989 it was renamed first the Citizen and Advertiser in March before becoming the Peterborough Citizen once more in May.
It’s published by East Midlands Newspapers, part of the Johnston Press group of regional and local newspapers across the UK, and is a companion to their paid-for title the Peterborough Telegraph, although the circulation area is much smaller. The editorial offices are collocated with the Telegraph‘s, in Peterborough.
It has no website of its own; it shares peterboroughtoday.co.uk with the Telegraph.
It comes out on Thursdays.