It’s published by the Archant Norfolk branch of Archant Anglia, which in turn is a regional division of media group Archant. The editorial offices are at Archant’s headquarters in Norwich.
It’s one of a series of Advertiser freesheets founded in 1985 (initially as The Norfolk Advertiser) and distributed in eastern Norfolk and north-eastern Suffolk; until 2009 they all shared a website, but each now has its own. Until 2012, the website bore the title The Advertiser – Norwich edition in its masthead.
It’s the third newspaper to bear the Norwich Advertiser title. The first was the Norwich Advertiser and Weekly News, founded in 1860 and discontinued in 1863 (by which time it had become The Norwich Advertiser, and East Anglian News, etc.). The second was The Norwich Advertiser, which appeared only six times between April and Christmas 1938.
Although it’s delivered primarily through letterboxes, since March 2013 a very small number of copies of each issue have been distributed brand-to-hand in Norwich city centre.
There’s a fair amount of news on the Advertiser website, but the site also links to the website of its paid-for parent title, the Norwich Evening News.
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition’s also available free on the website.