It was founded in 1861 as The Bishop Stortford Observer, etc. but adopted its current title the following year. It switched back (more or less) to being the Bishop’s Stortford Observer for nearly three years between May 1979 and February 1982.
It’s published by Herts & Essex Newspapers, a Hertford-based division of Iliffe News & Media (and thus of the Local World group since the end of 2012). The editorial offices are in Bishop’s Stortford.
There are two editions: the Bishop’s Stortford Observer (with by far the larger circulation of the two) and the Dunmow and Stansted Observer. Both come out on Thursdays and are also available via email by paid subscription.