It was founded in 1880 as The Yarmouth Mercury, Gorleston Herald and North Norfolk Advertiser and switched to its present title a year after its centenary. It’s absorbed two other newspapers in its time:
- the Yarmouth Advertiser & Gazette and Gorleston Weekly News, which first appeared in 1898 but lasted only until 1901; and
- the Yarmouth Independent, established in 1853 as the Yarmouth Free Press. It changed name three times in 1857: after just one issue as The Lowestoft and Yarmouth Free Press it swapped to The Yarmouth and Lowestoft Free Press, then adopted its final title four months later. It was incorporated into the Mercury in 1940.
It’s published by Archant Norfolk, part of the Archant Anglia division of the Norwich-based Archant media group. The editorial offices are in Great Yarmouth.
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition (paid) is also available on the website.