It started life as a monthly publication, the Wisbech Advertiser, in 1845. It switched to weekly publication some time after July 1852, and became the Isle of Ely and Wisbech Advertiser in 1887. It became a freesheet in 1975 under a new name, the Fenland Advertiser, and then underwent two name changes in two weeks in May 1989 – first becoming the Fenland Citizen and Advertiser before settling on its current name.
It’s published by East Midlands Newspapers, a branch within the Midland division of the Johnston Press UK-wide group of regional newspaper publishers. The main editorial offices moved from Wisbech to King’s Lynn in March 2014.
Although it’s a freesheet, a small proportion of each print run (just over five per cent) is sold through the news trade.
There are two editions:
- Wisbech (for the northern part of the distribution area)
- March (also covers Chatteris and the south of the distribution area)
It comes out on Wednesdays.