It was founded in 1764 as The Chelmsford and Colchester Chronicle, or, Universal Weekly Advertiser. It was renamed The Chelmsford Chronicle in 1771 and the Essex County Chronicle in 1884, before settling upon its present title in 1920.
It’s published by the Essex Chronicle Media Group, part of the Northcliffe Media group of regional newspaper publishers, which was itself a division of the Daily Mail & General Trust until becoming the major constituent of new media group Local World in November 2012. The editorial offices are in Chelmsford. So too were the printworks until 2002, when production was moved to Staverton in Gloucestershire.
It used to share Northcliffe’s thisistotalessex.co.uk website (since 2011 a portal site for the area rather than a newspaper website) with the Brentwood Gazette. However, in April 2013 Local World announced its intention of creating new “publisher-branded” websites for former Northcliffe newspapers, following which the Chronicle was given its own separate site at a new URL. (The thisistotalessex.co.uk URL now redirects to the Chronicle‘s new site.)
It’s produced in three editions:
- Maldon & Burnham
- Braintree & Witham
All come out on Thursdays.