It has its roots in the Stansted Observer and the Dunmow and Walden Observer, both launched around 1990. The two titles merged in 2007.
It’s the smaller title of a two-title Herts and Essex Observer series founded in 1861 and published by Herts & Essex Newspapers, a division of Iliffe News & Media and thus now part of the Local World media group formed at the end of 2012 by the merger of Iliffe with Northcliffe Media. The editorial offices for the series are in Bishop’s Stortford.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.