It was founded in 1970 as the Evening Gazette by Essex County Newspapers, immediately after the demise of a weekly Colchester Gazette that had been founded in 1877. (Even that wasn’t the first Colchester-based newspaper entitled Gazette; between 1814 and 1841 there had been the Colchester Gazette and General Advertiser for Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Herts.)
In 2007 it became the Colchester Gazette. Between 2009 and 2011 it changed title four times, becoming first the Daily Gazette (9 February 2009); then the Colchester Daily Gazette (31 May 2010); then the Colchester Gazette (26 July 2010) before settling on the Daily Gazette on 31 January 2011.
It’s published by Newsquest (Essex) from editorial offices in Colchester.
There’s also a companion paid-for weekly title, the Essex County Standard, which has substantially the same circulation area; and a freesheet, the Colchester Weekly News, which is restricted to the area immediately around Colchester itself.