It was founded in 1888 as the Cambridge Daily News by William Farrow Taylor. The Iliffe family acquired it in the 1920s, sold it in 1938 and then reacquired it in 1959. It became the Cambridge News for the first time in 1962, then switched to evening publication as the Cambridge Evening News in 1969. However, in 2007 a “sunrise” edition called simply the Cambridge News was launched; the evening edition was withdrawn in 2008. Following the merger of Iliffe News & Media with the Daily Mail & General Trust‘s regional publishing division, Northcliffe Media, the News has been published by the new media group formed thereby, Local World.
The editorial offices are in Milton to the north-east of Cambridge and are shared with the News‘s eight companion weekly freesheets:
- Cambridge News & Crier Now
- Ely Weekly News
- Haverhill Weekly News
- Huntingdon & St Ives News & Crier
- Newmarket Weekly News
- Royston Weekly News
- Saffron Walden Weekly News
- St Neots News & Crier
An e-edition’s available by paid subscription.