It was founded in 1861 as The Bishop’s Stortford Observer, etc. In mid-1862 it was renamed The Herts & Essex Observer, etc. and kept that title until 1979, when it reverted to a truncated version of the original name (the name it bears today). In 1982 it switched back to The Herts & Essex Observer, then back to its present name in 2008.
It’s published by Herts & Essex Newspapers, a division of the Local World media group created at the end of 2012 by the merger of H&EN’s former parent company, Iliffe News & Media, with Northcliffe Media. Since the early 1970s it’s been part of a Herts & Essex Observer series together with the Dunmow & Stansted Observer. The editorial offices are in Bishop’s Stortford.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s available by paid subscription.
- Bishop’s Stortford Observer
12 North Street
- 01992 526625
- 01992 526686/87